Captain Arlen Leiner is an industry-recognized EXPERT WITNESS in both the marine and engineering fields. He has 39 years of experience in providing written and oral evidence and testimony.We also provide boat and yacht surveying services. To learn more, please visit our sister website A&L Marine Surveyors LLC.
I am a licensed USCG Master since 1962 and have held a USCG Engineering License > 4000 H.P, in addition to an unlimited towboat license. My experience goes all the way back as a boy of six starting in my family’s business of party and commercial fishing boats (a family business which goes back to the 1920’s in New York). When I was older I worked in the engine repair facilities and boatyards that my family owned. At 14, I was docking 140′ boats. I have done hundreds of inspections, depositions, and court cases since the mid -1980’s including work on the BP Deep Horizon oil spill. I have testified as an expert witness in cases worldwide as well as the U.S. and Florida. I have done accident reconstruction on small craft, yachts, as well as commercial fishing and work boats and large ships including the newest 1000′ long passenger ships. These include collisions, sinking’s, fire, groundings, death cases including alcohol-related. I have also done diminished value claims.
My business has built over 150 vessels in Fiberglass, composite, wood, steel and aluminum under the USCG Hull Identification AMS and in earlier years, before Hull Identifications, the “Ocean Horse” label. I have attended most of the marine engine schools over the years and did some work for GM on the early upgrades of the 53,71 and 149 engines as a young engineer. I am a certified FLIR Infrared Thermographer as well as a certified Non-destructive Testing audio-gauger/ and have all the latest equipment including engine computers, bore-scoping, and ultrasound equipment in addition to the infrared thermal imager and audio-gauge. I attend various schools and seminars throughout the year on accident reconstruction, electrical, and vessel construction. I do work for the Polish Registrar of Shipping, Lloyd’s of London, as well as several French and domestic insurance companies. HAVING BEEN HIRED BY BOTH PLAINTIFF AND DEFENSE AND BEING ACCEPTED AS AN EXPERT WITNESS AND SURVEYOR. MY POSITION IS ALWAYS “JUST THE FACTS.”
As a ships Master, Engineer, as well as an accredited and certified marine surveyor I have inspected ships elevators, electrically and hydraulically controlled watertight as well as passenger doors in used, as well as new condition or refurbished. I do condition, appraisal inspections as well as valuation appraisals, Infrared Thermal Imaging, NDT audio-gauging, Accident Reconstruction, including death, fire collision sinking, collapsing hatch supports both mechanical, electric and hydraulic, slip and falls, boatyard accidents, Diminished Valuation, Seaworthiness, Proper Repairs and Build, Boat and ship engines, and Paint condition.
*Captain Arlen Leiner
(1) Numerous experiences as certified expert witness in the Marine Field in the past 38 years, including Diminished Valuation, Accident Reconstruction, Vessel collisions, Sinking’s, Fire Reconstruction, Injury and Death, Cruise ships Accidents, Jones Act investigations and noncompliance, Boat Construction, Repair and Quality Control, Marine Engines and Installations, Testifying in the United States, Great Britain, BVIs, Mexico, Spain, Puerto Rico, France, Poland and Greece.
(2) Experience with Docks (loading and unloading), Boatyards, and Marinas and Marina Dockage, Ship and Large Yacht construction and repairs as well as management of Construction and repair, Inspection of NOAA, USCG and Military assault vessels. Boat Construction, Repair and Quality Control, Boat and Ship Construction, as well as Management of New Construction and Repair.
(3) Experienced boat builder Ocean Horse Label (before HIN’s) 178FRP Commercial boats, 3 Steel, 3 Aluminum, 7 Wood, 8 sail 5 FRP and 3 Steel, and from 2007 on under the AMS HIN Experienced and licensed operator (Master since 1963).
(4) Experienced Marine Engineer License 4000 Horsepower or greater from 1970 to 1993 (not renewed due to lack of use).
(5) Appraiser for recreational, commercial charter, and fishing vessel safety (Certified to give the USCG inspections of commercial fishing vessels, sail, and commercial workboats).
(6) Inspector of over 16,000+ boats and ships for condition, valuation, insurance, donation, finance, risk, disaster, salvage, damage, repair, hull, moisture, delamination, corrosion analysis, wood, Kevlar, FRP, including Ships, Submarines, Submersibles Landing Craft, Barges, Tow Boats, Jack-Up Rigs, Tankers, Mega Yachts, Yachts, Commercial fishing, Sportfish, Sail, Houseboats, Pontoon, Boat Trailers, I/O engines, Outboard gas engines, Gas and Diesel Inboard Engines, Freight, Sea Trials, On and Off Hire Surveys, Trip and Tow Surveys, as well as Cargo by all shipping methods. Extensive knowledge of scaffolding and ladders as well as the use of ladders and scaffolding to board vessels in boat and shipyards as well as the proper securing of ladders to vessels due to the use in boatyards in New York, as well as thousands of boarding of boats and ships in boat and shipyards to inspect vessels.
(7) Inspect MOLEX INTERNATIONAL CORPORATION, Pumps, Motors, Electrical Panels, in two Plants in St. Petersburg, Florida. Using FLIR Infrared Thermal Imaging to test motors.
(8) FLIR INFRARED THERMAL IMAGING and Bore-scoping of marine vessels and land- based properties for mold and water intrusion. This includes specialized work for the United States Government and LOCKEED-MARTIN as subcontractor.
(9) Certified Internationally NDT testing (Audio gauging Steel and Aluminum).
(10) I learned Steel and Aluminum Construction under tutelage of Duckworth Boats.
(11) Equipment Associated with Boats and Ships.
(12) 2010 POLISH REGISTRAR OF SHIPPING Inspection Course (2 weeks) on CE examinations and ship inspections (Gdansk, Poland).
(13) Certified Diver, Familiar with Deepwater work as well as shallow work, including remote as well as attached tankage, Deepwater saturation work.
(14) Engine Surveys and Inspections: Diesel Engine Schools Attended, GM Detroit Diesel and Gas (all venues), YANMAR, VOLVO PENTA Diesel, CATERPILLAR, JOHN DEERE, MAN, MTU, DEUTZ, LEHMAN, PERKINS, IZUSU, CUMMINS, and ONAN. Gasoline Engine Schools, MERCURY, MERCRUISER, VOLVO PENTA, YAMAHA, EVINRUDE, HONDA, SUZUKI, TOHATSU.
(15) ABYC Electrical ABYC Electrical Systems.
(16) ABYC Collision Investigation.
(17) First Marine Claims Seminar.
(18) Knox Claims Seminars2007, 2009, 2012, 2014.
(19) ABYC Composites Course.
(20) ABYC Electrical Corrosion Course.
(21) ABYC Composites Course.
(22) IBEX Composites Course.
(23) IBEX Advanced Composites Course.
(24) IBEX Surveying and repairing Advanced Composites.
(25) IBEX Improving Gel Coat Quality.
(26) IBEX Demystifying Propeller Design.
(27) IBEX National Meetings 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002 ,2004, 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2018 and 2019
(28) WORKBOAT National Seminars, 1997, 1999, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2018
(29) IAMI National Seminar 2003 (Panama City Beach, FL), 2008 (Baton Rouge, LA).
(30) SAMS® National Seminars 1999, 2004, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014, 2017.